Saturday, November 22, 2008

Christmas is Coming


Christmas is coming the goose is getting fat

Please put a penny in an old man's hat
_____________
That old song has been running through my head this morning on the Saturday before our American Thanksgiving. I have 2 sisters and a brother-in-law who have lost jobs this year and are unemployed. Times are getting hard here in the land of plenty. What have we to be thankful for this Thanksgiving?
.................................
I bet most of us still have much more then the majority of the world's population. If you are reading this, you have access to a computer. :) Hurray! I bet most of us will eat today. Hurray! I bet most of us will sleep with a roof over our heads and walls to protect us from the wind. Most of us have loved ones to visit and call and enjoy. Most of us are loved and cared about by someone. On top of all the blessings I have including my husband and 3 living children, I can look forward to meeting my Savior face to face when this word passes away. I can look forward to being reunited with my son who died at the age of 10 and my sister and my Mom. Perhaps I can even be thankful for the extra pounds I have to sustain me through any coming lean times. :) (Well that is a little harder to be thankful for. I am off to Curves to try to get rid of that)
...........................
So tell me what you are thankful for this week and then go find an old man or a someone in need and give your time and money. Help someone in more need then you as we head towards Christmas.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

My good friend is a teacher in an inner city school in Ok. She has on average 24 students, 20 of whom speak Spanish ONLY. Every year she "adopts" a family for her friends to support. She hasn't passed on the info yet to us but I eagerly anticipate this time of year when I can help someone with something trivial(to me) but important to them as close toed shoes for winter. We grew up dirt poor with people leaving food and hand me downs on our front porch and I am so happy God has blessed me to be able to do that for someone else in return. what a great God we have!!

Angela said...

Dear Sally,you came to my blog via the black box, so I looked you up. I can so understand your grief, and I would like to give you a hug from afar (I live in Germany). It is true that we all still have a lot to be thankful for, but it is (and will remain) hard to accept the death of a child. I think you should not even mind your gaining weight in this past year. It was a means of protection from unbearable pain, so it was even good and right for you. As you now go on in life, you will learn to let go of it - both the pain and the weight. Just learn to be happy again. Try it, practice it. I wish you all the best and hope you can find joy again.
Oh, and the avocado - well, it was a nice gift, but I never bought one for myself after that first encounter!

Unknown said...

Dear friends,
I left you a response to your comment on Silent "Son"day.
When you have time, come over and read it, because I appreciated your comment so.
Thinking about you and praying for you as this holiday season approaches, without your beloved Joshua.
Love and care,
Jlo